Niagara Falls Community Development and Niagara Falls Neighborhood Housing Services, Inc., can help you become a home owner with a United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) funded closing cost assistance grant.
How Does The Grant Work?
We offer first time home buyers a grant, up to $2,500, to cover the closing costs associated with a new mortgage.
Purchasing a home, and navigating first time home buyer programs, can be stressful. Our program staff is here to help, and will be involved in every step of the process, working with the prospective home owners from application to closing.
Who Is Eligible?
Eligible applicants must:
• Be buying a home in the City of Niagara Falls
• Be a first time home buyer*
• Agree, at time of closing, to own and occupy the home for no less than five years
• Provide a financing commitment /pre-qualification letter and a signed real estate contract for the purchase of the home
• Provide a first time home buyer education certificate
• Be able to prove that household assets do not exceed $30,000
• Be able to show proof that household gross annual income cannot exceed the following guidelines:
*You may be considered a first time home buyer if you or your spouse have not owned a home within three years of application. Exception will also be made for a displaced home maker or single parent, who owned a home with a spouse, or resided in a home owned by a spouse, during marriage.
**Income is only tested at time of deferred loan approval, not throughout the five year time period
How Do I Apply?
Our team is here to walk you through the process. Step one is a consultation, to discuss eligibility, the application process and your renovation goals for the home. Please contact Paul Martell, Home Ownership Specialist, at email@example.com to set up your first consultation.
Need More Home Buying Counseling?
If you would like additional help in home buying counseling, our partners at Niagara Falls Neighborhood Housing Services offer first time homebuyer education classes once a month. For more information, you can view their brochure HERE or find them online at niagarafallsnhs.org.